For program/reservation questions:
301-929-5989 (Reservations- Press 5)
For ActiveMontgomery account assistance: Visit ActiveMontgomery
Guided Public Hikes:
Discover the Underground Railroad! Join us to learn about the experience of 19th-century freedom seekers in Montgomery County and Maryland as you hike our simulated experience trail. Hikes last approximately 2 1/2 hours and occur on a natural surface hiking trail. The trail is not ADA accessible or stroller friendly.
Register on ActiveMontgomery. Limited walk-in availability, based on the number of pre-registered participants. Program canceled for heavy rain/thunderstorms or poor trail conditions.
- October 2(opens in a new tab)
- October 9(opens in a new tab)
- October 23(opens in a new tab)
- November 6 at 10am(opens in a new tab)
- November 6 at 1pm (opens in a new tab)
- November 26(opens in a new tab)
- November 27(opens in a new tab)
Guided hikes are not available December – March.
Please note: Due to staffing shortages, private guided hikes for groups are not available in 2021. Small groups can register individually to participate in any of the listed dates if space is available.
Preparing for the Program:
- Dress appropriate for the weather- typically temperatures are 10 degrees cooler in the woods
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for hiking on a natural surface trail (rocks, branches, mud, etc)
- There are no amenities available on the trail. Bring your own water, insect repellant, sunscreen, hand sanitizer and wipes
- Pets are not allowed on guided hikes except for therapeutic animals
- Due to interpretive content, the program is recommended for ages 7 and up
Program Covid-19 Preventative Measures:
- All unvaccinated participants are required to wear a face covering. Face coverings are optional for vaccinated participants.
- Be aware that maintaining physical distancing on the trail may not always be possible
- If a participant is sick or has symptoms, stay home.
- Tour guides will be utilizing portable voice amplifiers to aide in social distancing. No shared use materials will be distributed