The following trail safety tips can help you have a safe, enjoyable experience on Montgomery Parks’ trails.
Your safety is our concern. Program the Park Police Emergency number 301-949-3010 into your cell phone before you leave. Enjoy your visit!
Trail Safety Tips
- Never walk alone and always let someone know where you are going.
- Be very observant of your surroundings and of other people. Avoid areas where visibility is poor and don’t wear headsets.
- Wear reflective material and carry a whistle or noisemaker.
- Don’t leave valuable items in plain view inside of your car. Leave them at home or lock them in your trunk prior to arriving at your destination.
- Trust your instincts. Don’t walk where you feel uncomfortable.
- Park in well-lit, heavily traveled areas if possible.
- When you approach your car, have your key ready and check the floor and the back seats before you get in.
- Remember that pedestrians have the right-of-way. All trail users should stay to the right on the trail. Pets should be kept on a leash, and owners must clean up after their pets.
- Be sure to carry identification (which includes name, phone number, and pertinent medical information), and record your bicycle serial number. Carry coins for phone calls, or take a cell phone along (completely charged). Know the locations of phone booths and open businesses in the vicinity you’ll be traveling.
- Trails are available for use from sunrise to sunset each day.