Division: Park Development
Click thumbnail for a larger view
This project makes physical improvements to park facilities at Rock Creek Hills Local Park to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act Guidelines (ADAAG.)
The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) identified accessibility violations in sixteen local parks. The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission entered a settlement agreement with the DOJ, which established deadlines for correcting the violations. The deadline for correcting the violations at Rock Creek Hills Local Park was February 2012.
Park staff is in the process of making the physical improvements described below. Work is expected to begin the week of February 20th, 2012, was completed during the week of February 27th 2012.
- Parking Lot – Three accessible parking spaces (one of which will be van accessible) will be provided and reserved for people with disabilities. Existing spaces will be leveled at a flatter grade, re-striped as necessary, and signage will be installed. Curb ramps may be replaced as necessary to meet grade requirements. One new accessible space will be provided with a curb ramp and access path to the basketball court.
- Tennis Court and Playground Access – A new asphalt path will be constructed from the tennis court gate to the parking lot handicapped spaces, gazebo and playground. The slope of the path will be less than five percent.
- Drinking Fountain – The fountain spout location will be re-oriented.
- Mutt Mitt Dispenser – The mutt mitt dispenser will be located closer to the sidewalk.
- Portable Toilet – When re-installed in the spring, at least one portable toilet will meet accessibility requirements.
M-NCPPC Staff Contact
Bob Green, Project Manager