Celebrate nature and our beautiful earth in a safe and fun way at Montgomery Parks’ Restore Our Earth Fun Run and Walk at Wheaton Regional Park on Saturday, April 24 at 9am! This fun, free event takes guests on a run or walk through the park and past forests and Pine lake. The three-mile race starts behind Wheaton Carousel.
Restore Our Earth is the Worldwide Earth Day Network theme to alert citizens worldwide to the damaging effects of climate change and inspire people to do what they can to help stop these effects. It’s essential to help restore our ecosystems to reduce climate change and help stave off its effects. Actions to help the planet reduce the effects of climate change include: restoring wildlife populations, getting rid of plastics in the ocean, conserve and rebuild soil, and use green technology to help restore ecosystems and forests.
While walking or running along the two-mile trail, you will see various signs that give more information on ways to reduce climate change, and easy tips to implement them in your home. A bingo card will be handed out before you start the course. Mark the spaces on your bingo card for the change you are implementing at home. Fun Run/Walk registrants will receive a free giveaway at the end of the course. One giveaway per registrant.
To help you save energy at home, we have partnered with the Department of Environmental Protection and the Montgomery Energy Connection. They will offer a free lightbulb exchange. Bring your old bulbs, and swap them for new, energy-efficient bulbs at no cost! Visit the Sustainability webpage to learn more about Parks’ sustainability initiatives.
- The trail is comprised of gravel, paved, and natural surface paths. Some parts of the trail may not be suitable for vehicles with wheels (strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, etc).
- All children 15 years of age or younger may not register themselves, and minors must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Dogs are allowed at the event, as long as they are leashed at all times, per park rules.
- Registration is mandatory, and only 25 guests per start time are allowed, due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- Social distancing and mask-wearing are mandatory for the entirety of the event.