Here's What you Need to Know
Check out Last Year's Winner
You Could be our Arbor Day Superhero
HAVE YOUR SCHOOL CELEBRATE ARBOR DAY WITH MONTGOMERY PARKS
2018 Montgomery Parks Arbor Day Video Contest
Montgomery Parks is pleased to invite your 3rd-5th grade students to participate in a video contest for a chance to host an Arbor Day Celebration at your school this April!
In a short video, tell us how “Trees are Superheroes.” Trees provide oxygen, wood and food. They filter pollutants from the air, provide shade and provide shelter to a variety of critters. That’s why trees are super!
Submissions will be posted to the Montgomery Parks’ YouTube Channel and the winning video will be displayed on Montgomery Parks’ social media channels and website.
Submission must be received by March 29, 2018 and the winning student or classroom will be selected March 30, 2018 and the winning school will be notified the week of April 02, 2018.
The school with the winning entry will host Montgomery Parks’ Arbor Day Celebration, an event with hands-on activities that include;
- Tree Top Travels & Canopy Exploration: A tree climber will demonstrate climbing, pruning, tree work and tools used to maintain tree health.
- Compost Cooks: Live composting demonstration!
- How Trees Grow: A study of growth rings.
- Plant a Tree: from the Park’s Nursery, Pope Farm, on school property and discuss what trees need to survive after planting.
- Tree walk: Learn how to identify trees on your school grounds
- Class photos with Park’s mascot Woody the Tree.
- Montgomery County Forestry Board Champion Tree Display.
- Tree seedling giveaway to each student.
- The 2018 theme is “Trees are Superheroes.” The theme must be included in the video. Videos can be funny and comedy is encouraged.
- Videos must be the original work of a third, fourth or fifth-grade student or class enrolled in a private or public Montgomery County School. Teachers are encouraged to help the students with filming.
- No religious symbols.
- The use of business, company names, or protected copyrights should not be included anywhere in the video.
- Only one video from each school will be accepted.
- Video submissions must be no more than 60 seconds long.
- Videos must identify the school and how your school celebrates trees.
- Videos must have a clear beginning, middle, and end.
- The use of animation/special effects apps are acceptable, but please limit usage to 50% of the video.
- Videos can be created using a video camera, cell phone, or tablet.
- Videos must be submitted with the attached Arbor Day Video Contest Submission Form.
Contact Thomas Berry at 301-670-8061 or Thomas.Berry@montgomeryparks.org