Scout programs to are available by appointment. To schedule a program, call 301-962-1480. The cost for our hour long programs is
$6/hour/scout with a minimum payment of $60/program for Girl Scout and Cub Scout programs unless noted otherwise.
Come CAMP-INN at Brookside Nature Center!
Looking for a great overnight adventure for your scouts, Green Team, church or neighborhood group?
Come to Brookside Nature Center for a Camp-Inn! Your overnight package of nature fun includes:
- Overnight lodging in the nature center (bring your sleeping gear)
- Evening campfire with s’mores and an activity
- Nocturnal wildlife walk with a naturalist
- Tailor-made naturalist program for your group
Camp-Inns are usually Friday or Saturday nights, beginning at 5:30pm and ending at 9am the following morning. Fee is just $30 per person, with one adult free for every five kids. Have a camp-in for your child’s birthday! Call 301-962-1492 for details.
For each Girl Scout program, all requirements for the adancement point will be covered. Each program is approximately 1 hour in length.
- Using Your Resources Wisely - Clover Petal: Enjoy an hour of fun with a hike around the nature center as you learn what resources are available and how to use them wisely!
- Make the World a Better Place - Rose Petal: With simple crafts, nature games, and a hike around the nature center you'll enjoy an hour of fun and learning about how to make the world a better place.
- Bugs - We'll explore the homes of insects in the forest, meadow, and stream making careful observations as they go about their business.
- Flowers - We'll investigate how flowers are put together, how they interact with various pollinators and learn about how they are important to us and the plants they grow on.
For each Cub Scout program, most or all requirements for badges will be covered. Programs are generally an hour long unless noted.
- Tigers: LET'S GO OUTDOORS! We'll use snses on a nature hike to experience the great woods around the nature center. We'll makie leaf rubbings and explore the meadow, creek and pond looking for wildlife. This program is just 1 hour long.
- Wolf: BIRDS (Elective 13) What birds live in the woods and around the pond? We'll start a bird list and learn about nests and nesting materials as we take a hike to the large bird nest in the Nature Exploration Area!
- Bear: SHARING YOUR WORLD WITH WILDLIFE: Learn what a conservationist does and why their work is so important. We'll explore the different habitats around the nature center and meet some local animals who call the nature center home.
- Webelos: FORESTER What better place to learn about how trees work than in the woods surrounding the nature center! You'll be introduced to the trees who call Wheaton Regional Park home and learn the important role they play in the world.
- Webelos: NATURALIST Are you a naturalist? A Conservationist? An Explorer? Learn about the living things in the park from under your feet to over your head to learn different roles plants and animals play in nature.
Boy Scout Merit Badges at Brookside Nature Center
Brookside Nature Center is a perfect spot to cover nature related badge requirements. We welcome inquiries regarding how we might help scout troops cover items found in the following badges:
- Fish & Wildlife Management
- Soil and Water Conservation
- Bird Study
- Insect Study
- Mammal Study
- Indian Lore
- Plant Science
Updated November 9, 2015