Cabin John Miniature Train
Cabin John Regional Park
7410 Tuckerman Lane
Rockville, MD 20852
301-765-8670 Train Information
301-650-2880 Party Room Reservations
Along with the many fine features in this popular park, both children and adults are entranced by a ride on the miniature train. The train is a replica of the 1863 C.P. Huntington, a 4-2-4T steam locomotive purchased by the Southern Pacific Railroad and named in honor of Collis P. Huntington, President of the Southern Pacific Company. The train's five passenger cars carry visitors on a scenic two-mile ride through the Cabin John Regional Park (about a 15-minute ride). A party room at the Cabin John train station is available for rentals (details below).
Click thumbnails for larger picture
Update The Cabin John Miniature Train is closed for the winter. Weather permitting, the train will reopen March 25, 2016 through April 1, for Spring Break. We will then be open weekends in April and May and begin full time operations in June. Reservations for Spring and Summer 2016 Party Room Reservations will begin online on Tuesday, Februray 16 beginning at 7am at ActiveMontgomery.org.
Tickets good for one ride are $2.00 each, and children under age 2 may ride free with a paying adult. Riders age 2 and older must purchase a ticket. Buy a book of 10 at the train station for $18.00 and save 10%! Tickets may be purchased at the Train Station during normal operating hours (sorry, not available for online purchase).
Rent the Cabin John Train Party Room!
The Party Room at the Cabin John Miniature Train Station is perfect for your child’s next birthday party or family celebration. The spacious Train Station Party Room features a fun train motif and can accommodate up to 50 people. As part of the birthday party package, you'll get:
- Use of the Party Room for 2 hours for $175
- Choice of a time slot: 10am - 12pm; 1pm - 3pm or 4pm - 6pm
- Use of tables, chairs and refrigerator/freezer
- 20 complimentary train tickets (in-season April - September) - additional tickets may be purchased the day of the rental, if needed
- Special photo opportunity for the birthday child on the locomotive engine (in-season April - September)
- Special "no-wait" priority seating on the first train ride for your whole party (in-season April - September)
Common questions: How do I pickup my tickets the day of my party? Who will open the room for me? Will staff be onsite? You can find the answers here. Need to know what size tablecloths to purchase? Find our Party Room floor plan here.
If you have questions after reading this information, please e-mail CabinJohnTrain@MontgomeryParks.org.
Book Your Party Online
For your convenience, book your party online at ActiveMONTGOMERY.org. The party room is available by reservation only. Availability is limited and time slots fill quickly, so please book your party well in advance of your preferred date. Dates and times of availability can be found online (see "How to Book Your Party Room Online" below).
If you already have a ActiveMONTGOMERY account and know your login and PIN number, you're ready to go! If you don't have a ActiveMONTGOMERY account, why not sign up for one right now? It's free and only takes a few minutes. If you have questions about ActiveMONTGOMERY, please call 301-495-2580 M-F.
How to Book Your Party Room Online
- Go to www.ActiveMONTGOMERY.org
- Click on the middle of three boxes marked "Facilities" (between "Activities" and "Memberships")
OR click on "Reservations" in the light gray bar at the very top of the page.
- Click on "Quick Reserve"
- Click on the down arrow of the empty box titled “Reservation Group.”
You’ll see a list of facilities that can be booked in Montgomery Parks.
Scroll down and find “Parks Cabin John Train.”
- You’ll see a screen that looks something like this (Note: Photos below are "Wheaton" options but Cabin John options will appear if you select Cabin John Train):
If you want to see all the available party times on a particular day, you don't need to fill in times in the top screen--just click “Check Availablity.”
In the example shown above, the 10-3 (5-hour) slot is open and available; the 2-hour 1-3pm slot is available, and the 10-Noon slot is available.
Click on the first empty box of the party time you’d like to reserve (it’s the only one you can click on; the others are grayed out), and the boxes for the other hours in that time slot will automatically fill.
- Click on the date you want to "View Available Times"
NOTE: Even though "View Available Times" might appear on a particular date, it may not be possible to book the Train Party Room on that particular date, especially during the off-season. The Train Station Party Room is only available to rent Saturdays and Sundays December through mid-April).
- You'll then see a screen that says "Facility Availability Information" with choices of specific party times. Click the blue "Book" button on the time/hours you want.
Really important NOTE: Be sure to pick the time you want from this screen. Once you've gone on to the "Online Quick Reserve" page, it may look like you'll be able to pick from the different party time options, but you won't be able to.
- Now you're on the "Online Quick Reserve" page for the specific day and hours you chose. The date you chose in the prior screen should now show in the "Reservation Date." You don't really have to enter the start and end time in the "Time Range" boxes in the top-half "Selection" part of the screen--just click on the hour box/es in the bottom part of the screen (the "Availability for (your date)" part).
- Enter your "Event Name" (e.g. "Pelecanos Birthday Party") and the number of guests you expect in the "Attend" box.
Really important NOTE: If you see red check marks in the time slots in this chart, it means the date is not available (even though the calendar grid gave you a "Book" option...).
- At this point, you can hit the "Calculate Charges" button ands see what the rental fee will be (including your refundable deposit).
- If everything looks good (double-check both your date time in the top half of this screen), click on the "Reserve" button.
How to Cancel a Party Room Reservation
To receive a refund, please submit your cancellation in writing at least fourteen (14) days prior to the rental date. A $25 cancellation fee will be subtracted from your total refund. You may e-mail your cancellation notification to: CabinJohnTrain@MontgomeryParks.org.
No refunds will be issued if the cancellation request is submitted less than fourteen (14) days prior to the rental date.
More Great Places to...
From I-270 take Exit 1A and merge onto Old Georgetown Road/MD 187. Turn left onto Tuckerman Lane and continue to the park entrance.
How Are We Doing?
Please let us know how we are doing by filling out a quick 10-question online survey
Date of last update: August 26, 2015