Hours and Directions
1800 Glenallan Ave.
Wheaton, MD 20902
General Information: 301-962-1400
The grounds of Brookside Gardens are open every day of the year.
Gardens: Sunrise to Sunset.
Visitors Center: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Conservatories: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.*
Here is what you need to know to plan your visit:
- NOTICE: Access to the Visitors Center is through the Atrium (right) side of the building. The Information desk, library, gift shop and rest room side of the building is currently closed for HVAC installation. A spacious rest room trailer is located behind the visitors center to the right at the entrance to the Gude Garden.
- The entire Visitors Center will be be closed for HVAC installation for 6-8 weeks beginning approximately mid-March 2014.
- The Visitors Center parking lot will be closed for major improvements from mid-March- November 2104.
- The Conservatory parking lot offers 39 spaces, or use suggested alternate parking locations.
- The Gardens and Conservatories are open!
- For updates and more details, visit Montgomery Parks CIP Brookside Gardens Entry and Parking Renovation and Brookside Gardens Gateway page.
NOTICE: For the latest information on weather related cancellations, please call 301-962-1400 or visit our facebook page before coming to the Gardens.
Gift Shop Hours March 2014:
Visitors Center Gift Shop: CLOSED during HVAC Installation
Conservatory Gift Shop: Tuesday – Saturday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm; Sunday – Monday, Noon – 4:00 pm
Horticultural Reference Library: CLOSED during HVAC installation (regular hours to return in May: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, and during the Master Gardeners Plant Clinic hours (closed holidays)
Master Gardener Plant Clinics: Temporarily relocated to Wheaton Library; The Master Gardener Plant Clinics at Brookside Gardens have been cancelled for January and February & March 2014. Master Gardener Plant Clinics will resume normal hours listed below in May.
Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., and Sunday 1 to 4 p.m. (located in Brookside Gardens Library)
Gude Garden Restoration Improvement Project
Renovations to the Gude Garden will begin in late May and will last for approximately 9 months. We will be stabilizing the banks, dredging the ponds, and repairing the dams to improve water quality. The turtles and fish will be temporarily relocated to another pond.
CLOSED: During renovations, the Gude Garden lawn, Japanese Tea House, Reflection Terrace, the Labyrinth, and lower service road (a section of the Heart Smart Trail) around the Garden will be closed.
OPEN: Pedestrian access to Wheaton Regional Park through the Pine Lake gate will remain open during the renovations.
For more information please visit ParkProjects.org
Thank you for your patience.
- From I-270 and points west, take exit 4A, Montrose Road east, which turns into Randolph Road. Go approximately 7 miles and turn right onto Glenallan Avenue. From I-495, the Capital Beltway, take Exit 31A (north on Georgia Ave./Rt. 97) toward Wheaton. Drive three miles north on Georgia Avenue to Randolph Road and turn right. At the second traffic light turn right onto Glenallan Avenue.
- Brookside Gardens Visitors Center, located 3/8 mile on the right at 1800 Glenallan Avenue. Turn right at the 4-way stop at the stone entrance.
- Brookside Gardens Conservatory, located ½ mile on the right at 1500 Glenallan Avenue.
- MapQuest driving directions
- GoogleMaps driving directions
Admission is free to the gardens. A fee is charged for the Garden of Lights, 'Wings of Fancy' Butterfly Exhibit and some special programs.
Food and drink
Food and drink are not permitted in the Gardens. Picnic facilities are available nearby at the Shorefield Area of Wheaton Regional Park.
Metro: Brookside Gardens is closest to the Glenmont Station on the red line. Exit the station on Glenallan Avenue, turning right. If you exit on Layhill Rd, turn left on Layhill, then right on Glenallan. Walk approximately 1 mile on Glenallan Ave. to Brookside Gardens on your right. Click on the Google Map link above to see the route.
Brookside Gardens’ vehicle entrances feature deer exclusion grates, which also preclude pedestrians from crossing. All pedestrians should plan to enter the Gardens through the pedestrian entrances. The Visitors Center pedestrian entrance is located on Glenallan Avenue to the left of the vehicle entrance as you enter. The Conservatory pedestrian entrance is located to the right of the vehicle entrance as you enter. Please do not attempt to cross the deer exclusion grates on foot, as this could result in injury.
Rules & regulations
Pets and sports equipment are not permitted in the Gardens. Here is a complete list of Brookside Gardens rules and regulations, which may differ from Montgomery Parks rules and regulations.
Limousine Policy: Limousines must obtain a permit in advance of entering Brookside Gardens.
Photography Policy: All groups of 2 or more must obtain a photography permit in advance.
Rest rooms, drinking fountains, public telephones
Rest rooms and drinking fountains are located at the Visitors Center and Conservatories. Public telephones are available outside the Visitors Center and Conservatories. Additional water fountains may be found throughout the gardens.
Wheelchairs are available free of charge on a first come, first serve basis at the Information Desk in the Visitors Center. We ask that visitors please leave a valid driver's license or I. D. at the desk.
Pets are not allowed in the Gardens. Pets are allowed on leashes in other parts of Wheaton Regional Park.
Montgomery County Regional Parks map, Maryland
Brookside Gardens is located in Wheaton, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC. Its location is indicated on the map below as "Wheaton-4." From I-495, the Washington Beltway, take Route 97, Georgia Avenue north, 3 miles. At Randolph Road, turn right. At Glenallan Avenue, turn right. Turn right into Brookside Gardens, 1800 Glenallan Ave., at the four-way stop.