Individual photographers are welcome to photograph the plants and gardens of Brookside. No permits are needed; we ask that you follow the hobby photography guidelines below.
All other photography, including commercial, non-commercial and group photography requires a photo permit. Photo permits are required to accommodate high demand for photo sessions and to avoid conflicts with other scheduled events at the Gardens. Please print, complete and fax the Photography Permit Request Form to 301-962-7878.
Photo Permit- Groups of less than 10 persons: Fee- No Charge
Photo Session Permit- Groups of 11 and up: Fee-$350 for one-hour photo session* (see user fee policy below) A photo session rental reservation contract will be issued for your photo session and a staff person is assigned to reserve an exclusive garden area for your photo session. Reservations may be made up to 30 days in advance.
Limousine Permit - Limousine or other group transports must acquire a separate Limousine Permit in advance in order to ensure parking is available. Call 301-962-1404 to request a permit. Limousine policy and information.
Photography Rules & Regulations
1. Photo permit applications will be approved 2- 5 days prior to the requested date. Each session is scheduled separately and will not be approved during other scheduled events. Approved permits are picked up at the Visitors Center Information Desk or Rental Office.
2. Photo sessions are one hour in duration.
3. No more than 10 participants, including the photographer and subjects, are allowed per session. Groups of more than 10 are considered a facility rental and a $350 photo session fee is charged.
4. If the session is approved, a badge will be issued to the photographer or responsible party. The badge must be displayed during the photo session.
5. Do not disturb any gardens, stand on rocks or displays, block paths, or climb garden or fountain walls.
6. The photo session must not interfere with other visitors' enjoyment of the gardens. The public is not excluded from garden areas used for photography, unless a photo session rental reservation is arranged.
7. Due to high visitation and narrow sidewalks, group photography is not permitted in the Conservatories. Absolutely no tripods are allowed in the Conservatories.
8. Outdoor, tripod lighting is not permitted, though hand-held strobes may be used.
9. For the safety of all visitors to the gardens please be careful of cords, hot lamps and other equipment that could pose a hazard.
10. Events are constantly updated; any M-NCPPC scheduled event will supersede and take priority over photo sessions, unless a photo session rental reservation is arranged.
11. Staff has the right to refuse entry to commercial photographers on heavy visitation days, due to inclement weather, or other unforeseen circumstances.
12. Limousine or other group transports must acquire a separate Limousine Permit in advance in order to ensure parking is available.
Non-commercial, Hobby Photography Guidelines
1. Do not disturb any gardens, stand on rocks or displays, block paths, or climb garden or fountain walls.
2. The photo session must not interfere with other visitors' enjoyment of the gardens.
3. Absolutely no tripods are allowed in the Conservatories.
4. Published photographs should credit location of photograph, i.e.: Brookside Gardens, Wheaton, MD,
*(Effective Jan. 1, 2010, approved by M-NCPPC Planning Board, Oct. 2009)
MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK AND PLANNING COMMISSION DEPARTMENT OF PARKS, MONTGOMERY COUNTY POLICY ON USER FEES:
Basic facilities, services and programs (such as trails, playgrounds and picnic areas), which appeal to a broad spectrum of the community, are supported by general tax dollars and are provided at no additional charge to residents. User Fees are charged for those facilities, services and programs, which provide an individual benefit or an exclusive use. User Fees may also be charged to balance use with capacity and demand, and to allocate scarce resources.