Earth Day Festival
Sunday, April 24, 2016 12:00 - 4:00p.m.
Activities at Brookside Gardens & Brookside Nature Center
What better place than Brookside Gardens, M-NCPPC Montgomery Parks, to celebrate Earth Day? Through volunteering, walks and tours, earth friendly activities and browsing our green craft fair, you can learn while having fun. Interactive family-friendly activities and a “green” vendor and craft fair will be offered from 12noon- 4pm. Enjoy wildflower and plant walks starting at 12:30pm. Discover how small changes in your everyday habits can make a big impact on improving our environment.
Schedule of Events
Brookside Gardens Activities
- 9:00am – noon Volunteer Project
Volunteer for an Earth Day garden project. All volunteers must preregister; for more information, or to sign up, call 301-962-1429 or email: email@example.com. Visit our volunteer web page.
Noon - 4:00pm Earth Day Activities -
- Plant Sale - Visitors Center South Terrace. Purchase locally grown Native plants, annuals, perennials, ferns , trees and shrubs. Not all the plants are native but all will beautify your garden, reduce carbon dioxide and clean the air! Check out the plants that will be offered for sale and plan ahead: Plant Sale Plant List.
- Green Craft and Vendor Fair- Visitors Center Auditorium. Join us for a green craft fair this earth day! Browse craft tables featuring local crafters selling items made from reused, recycled, up-cycled, responsibly harvested, organic, plant related or sustainable products. Our green vendors will demonstrate products or services that help the earth.
- Master Gardener Plant Clinic 1:00 – 4:00; Visitors Center Library
- Food Trucks - in front of Visitors Center
- Earth Day Activities for Children & Families- Gardens behind Visitors Center and near the Conservatories.
- Tree Scavenger Hunt
- Face Painting
- Monarch Migration Game
- Children's Crafts:
- Blooming Seed Paper- write a wish for the earth, then take it home to plant and watch it grow.
- Make a Nature Loom
- #WhereIsWoody? Test your knowledge of Trees! Look for Woody the the Montgomery Parks Mascot, wandering the festival asking tree-via questions and and awarding plants while supplies last.
- 12:00 & 2:00pm Drum Circles
1:00 & 3:00p.m.- Nature Jams Concert! Enjoy some musical "edutainment" and learn valuable lessons about Nature and the environment. Jam with Nature Jams' Zach & Rob.
12:30- 2:30 pm Walks & Tours
Meet at the Visitors Center entrance-No reservations required. All ages.
- 12:30- Blooming Natives-Take a stroll to see what native plants are in bloom near the visitors Center and how you can grow them successfully-
- 2:30- Green Thumbs Up- Parking Garden Tour - Learn about our new environmentally friendly parking garden- from the new plants and gabion wall to managing storm water runoff- you will learn ways you can improve your garden too.
Brookside Nature Center Activities
1:30pm- Pollinator Garden Plant Walk - meet at the Nature Center Information Table
-Woodland Photo Booth-Make memories and share your Earth Day spirit on camera # BrooksideGreen
-Migration Madness Game
-Community Art Project-"Toad Abode"- Use natural materials to create a home for toads and other woodland creatures.
Green Crafters wanted!
You are invited to participate in a green craft fair this spring as part of our 5th annual Earth Day Festival! Producers only- all items offered for sale must be vendor-made from reused, recycled, upcycled, responsibly harvested, organic, plant related, or sustainable products produced within 150 miles of Brookside Gardens.
Applications accepted Feb. 1-April 22, 2016. This is a juried craft fair. With your application, please include the application fee, a materials list, pictures and/or a web site where the committee can view your work. Apply early, as space is limited. Make application checks payable to: Active Montgomery or call 301-962-1461 to pay over the phone with credit card. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. You will be notified of your acceptance/denial via email or letter. Those accepted will be provided with additional details.
Green Craft Fair Application
Date of last update: April 18, 2016