Weed Warriors are out in the parks every day. Here we share some of our latest finds.
- November 26 - The easiest time to see the crane flower orchid is right now - the leaves are peaking out among the litter on the forest floor. Dark green above and royal purple below, the crane flower does most of its photosynthesis all winter long.
Some our favorite Weed Warriors did a video interview for "Did You Know?", a local cable show for County Cable Montgomery. If you ever wanted to know what we do, and why, watching this will get you up to speed.
- Did You Know - episode #41 - note: the Weed Warriors spot will start at the10 minute mark.
Weed Warrior Training
Saturday, December 7, 10:00AM - 12:00 NOON
Certified Weed Warriors & Weed Warrior's in training, come join us for a morning of NNI removal. You must register by 5 December at email@example.com, space is limited.
Are you interested in joining in a Special Project Weed Warrior project for a day? Click here to search the Park Events Calendar for volunteer opportunities. Click here to search the current individual Volunteer Services Office listings.
- No experience is necessary. We will train you on-site
- The minimum age for most projects is 14
- Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult
- We are Student Service Learning (SSL) approved
- Wear clothes that are good for working in the out-of-doors
- Bring gloves, pruners, and water - we will have extras on-site if you don't have them
- We work rain or shine, however, thunderstorms do cancel the project
Existing Weed Warriors report your hours here.
Thank you to all of our volunteers!
The brave souls of Northwest Branch planted 100 herbaceous plants from Pope Farm this weekend. Inspite of forecasted bad weather, an intrepid crew showed up to transform this stiltgrass infested meadow. Be sure to check out the trail this spring to see cardinal flower, grass-leaved goldenrod and more!
Please email our Volunteer Coordinator for more information and to register for training at: firstname.lastname@example.org
back to top - Last update: November 26, 2013